Monday, September 26, 2016

To Crete!

Our ferry to crete was in the late afternoon so we had one more morning in Oia to get additional photos and enjoy beautiful setting we were in.


We weren't more than 10 minutes out of our hotel when I fell in love. A pretty young thing she was - part pointer, part spaniel, not more than one year old. I told Dominique to go on without me and spent the next hour cuddling my new little friend. I went to the grocery store and bought some dog food for her, but alas, I wasn't thinking like a street dog. They aren't used to canned dog food and she had absolutely no interest in it! I sat and watched her find a bone and play with it just like any dog would - she'd fling it in the air and then chase after it wagging her tail happily. It broke my heart to leave her, but we had a bus to catch to get to Fira.



When we got to the bus stop it was chock-a-block with people waiting for the same bus. We weren't all going to fit. Because this was a local bus you can't buy a seat before hand, you pay once you are on board. We waited. More people came. When the bus finally arrived it was a mad dash to get in. Dominique stowed our bags and I tried to get in to get some seats. Ha! I just squeezed in and Dominique almost didn't get on. It was standing room only and standing room was bumper to bumper. We all stank of sweat and suntan lotion. The bus swayed to and fro through the mountain passes. I thought I was going to throw up. Dominique, being the last one on, got the seat right up front where the ticket guy usually sits.
We were all very glad when we got to Fira.


We had another couple of hours to kill here before our next bus to the port. So we stowed our bags and had a squizz. There were even more people here than in Oia. By this time I was well over people. We were both very glad that we hadn't included Fira in our holiday plans.



We made it to the port without incident and as we were waiting for the ferry to Crete, we saw the one bound for Athens come and go. It is a well oiled machine this ferry system - people and cars were off and on in less than 15 minutes. We saw a couple run down the pier in a desperate attempt to catch their ferry that was already bringing in their plank. The ferry dude on deck looked at them and shrugged. Right. Don't be late for the ferry.



































No comments:

Post a Comment