Thursday, September 29, 2016

Last day in Crete

Thinking of my Mom, who loved the sea


We both woke up with very sore and stiff legs the next morning, but we had decided when we had arrived in Chania that this free morning was going to be spent exploring...and quite frankly I needed distraction.

Old Chania town is built within a fortified wall (built by those Venetians) and its tiny cobbled streets and meandering alleys is absolutely charming. You don't get this in the new world!
We took a walk along the long pier and then got lost in the alleys. I admit that there was some retail therapy involved.






I could have stayed there for weeks just exploring. There were still quite a lot of tourists about even though it was the shoulder season, but it was totally bearable. Chania in October would be bloody brilliant.

There was cuddle therapy involved as well



Sadly, we had to catch the 3:00 bus back to Heraklio to catch the overnight ferry back to Athens.


The bus journey was uneventful, and we arrived in Heraklio with plenty of time to spare, so we went for dinner...in an Italian restaurant. I think Dominique was getting tired of the chicken souvlaki and I was tired of stuffed tomatoes.


I was looking forward to our overnight ferry - the last one I was on, from France to Ireland, was most enjoyable. We made it to our room without difficulty and were pleasantly surprised with the spacious cabin with our own ensuite. Tres chic non? It was around 9pm and we were both dying to take off our shoes and relax a bit. As I took off my sock I heard a crinkling noise, like I had some sort of wrapper in my sock. I looked down to see what it was. There, on the floor, was a rather large, rather flattened cockroach.
 

Ewww. Gross.


I assured myself that it had been between my sock and my shoe and not between my sock and my foot (it was, there was a leg still stuck on the bottom of my sock). It was a little disturbing. We decided that it must have crawled in there the previous night, because we had put our shoes outside to air them out from our hike. Note to self: don't put your shoes outside at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment