Thursday, September 29, 2016

I'm Sailing Away

True to their word Dominique and I slowly started picking up the lingo and anticipating when to put out the fenders (with a round turn and two half hitches), when to bring in the fenders (with a clove hitch), when to ready the port and starboard lines...yeah, I'm showing off a little here.


Our first two days we had some rain and some good wind - at one point we were almost perpendicular to the water, at which point Jake said, ''shit'' and I started to get nervous. But it was all great fun and we didn't really notice the massive learning curve happening.


The following couple of days we had rather flat days with no wind, so we learned how to do a man overboard maneuver and how to tie various knots. As a dyslexic person - knots are a bitch.


We rendezvoused every evening at a different port with the other boats and had dinner at local restaurants. It was really great to meet the other folks that were from all corners of the planet.


I won't go into every detail of what we did each day, suffice it to say that it was overall a very enjoyable experience and although I only learned the very smallest of things pertaining to sailing, I felt I learned a great deal.

Jake, our instructor, is indeed insane, but those are my favorite types of people.





























No comments:

Post a Comment