Friday, July 5, 2013

Dinard

I'm slowly getting used to the pace of life here in France. Lunch is a very important part of the day and must not be ignored. Often actvities are broken up between morning and afternoon with a good 2-3 hours in the middle dedicated to preparing, eating, and perhaps a little rest after lunch. But it's summer so the days are long - no worries!

The first few days were a little drizzly and overcast. The sun usually making an appearance at about 2pm (see even the sun respects lunch). The times when the sun is out are absolutely magnificent; clear blue skies, the water twinkling; long stretches of beach....ahhh! Oh in answer to your question - no I haven't gone swimming. Are you mad??? The water temperature did go up yesterday to a whopping 15 degrees. I think I shall continue to just enjoy it's beauty from afar.

After lunch on Wednesday I went into Saint Malo intra muros (within the walls - although it started as a fortified town it has out grown it's walls as you can well imagine), my cousin had suggested that I take the ferry bus across the bay to Dinard - another small town. It only takes 10 minutes to cross and you get a fabulous view of the great walls of Saint Malo.

Dinard was first settled by wealthy shipping merchants. They built stately homes (read mansions) overlooking the harbour. This coastline is refered to as the emerald coast because it is sheltered from the weather and so has quite a mild climate.

It is a very popular spot for the British and indeed many of the wonderful houses there are owned by English nationals.

I was lucky enough to have a glorious sunny afternoon and I enjoyed the stroll into the small town and along the beach and coastline.

No comments:

Post a Comment