Wednesday, July 3, 2013

We are experiencing technical difficulties....

MADE IT!

That last flight from Hong Kong to Paris was brutal. It was an older plane and the seats were hard as rock and very narrow. To boot, I got stuck with a seat right at the back where the galley was and the light was never truned off. I tried any number if contortionist positions but I had great difficulty getting any sleep. I did however have great food! I had asked for strict vegetarian Indian food (Jair) - it was bloody brilliant!
It was a long and gruelling journey, but I finally made it to St.Malo; birth place of my mom.


This is a very old fortified city, founded in the sixth centry, although it's first rampart wasn't built until the 12th century. During the 18th centry it became a hub of piracy and privateers - basically a pirate who has permission from the king to destroy enemy ships... a lucative endeavour back in the day! They also exacted tributes from mechant ships who wanted to do business in this busy port.




It was also the home of Jacques Cartier, who my Canadian compatriots will know as, the dude who in 1534 "discovered" Canada...I'm sure the First Nations have a wildly different view.

I'll jump ahead to August 1944 when the city was pretty much gutted (80% gone) leaving only the ramparts intact.

I shall let you know more as I learn more. 







 

I am currently experiencing technical difficulties with my phone, so my best laid plans are laid to waste! I will try to get it all fixed, but in the mean time I'm back in the internet cafes...and I gotta say that there aren't many of those around here.

Tomorrow I plan to visit the Mont St. Michel a very well known tidal island with strategic fortifications.

1 comment:

  1. Photos of Mont St Michel please. I've seen some interesting stuff about it.

    ReplyDelete