The drive to Agnaston was uneventful, if windy. We passed through some beautiful rolling hills and had the opportunity to drive through some small towns. What a lovely part of Australia this is!
We deviated from the road to Adelaide and very soon the vinyards began appearing. It's just spring so there isn't a lot of green yet but to see the straight rows of vines is really quite a sight.
When we got to Sab and Scott's place we promptly went for a walk and that evening we just hung out and caught up.
The next afternoon (after a leisurely morning) Sab was kind enough to play tour guide. First on the list was Angaston's best bakery for lunch! I had a veggie pastie and a chocolate doughnut for dessert. Now, I can hear you asking, "A doughnut? You're in a bakery and you choose a lowly doughnut for dessert??" Well, usually I would agree, and indeed the eclairs and the tarts looked enticing...but the doughnuts. My god! I've never seen such glorious loft and lightness in a doughnut! And I was right. It was magnificent. I've never tasted it's like before.
After the bliss of lunch, we had a wee stroll in Angaston. Like Wallaroo, this area is has a rich history. Angaston is one of South Australia's oldest towns, established in 1842, but it really started to thrive when the railway came in 1911. It maintains many of it's old buildings and has a nice laid back feel to it.
(the old train station - the train doesn't run anymore...dunno why not)
We then went to visit Tanunda. Although this town looks similar, old heritage buildings, and vinyards all round, it has a distinctly different feel. It's more, how to put it...nouveau riche. Hmmm not sure how I can describe it...more shi-shi shops, more exclusive this and that, just an air of more better here . My suspicions were confirmed when Sab told me that although the towns are less than 20km a part, Tanunda was vastly more expensive than Angaston.
Last was Nurioopta. We didn't stay too long here, but it had a no-nonsense sense to the place. very business like. Because this was our last stop we really just went to the supermarket so that I could grab some things for the next few days on the road. I thought it was funny that there was a vinyard just past the parking lot AND that there were vines growing out front of the supermarket!



No comments:
Post a Comment