Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Staying in Wallaroo

Sunday was windy as.

I'm talking hold on to your hat, sunnies and anything else that isn't nailed down.

Felix and I went for our morning constitutional and discovered the Main Street of Wallaroo, the Jetty (Felix did not like that one bit too high above the water and way too windy) and some quaint neighbourhoods.



You can still get ye olde towne feel here; the shops have awnings that cover the sidewalk and recessed  doors that are often quite narrow. Many of the original houses are still standing and in various conditions from dilapidated to completely restored. The massive silos and industrial jetty do give this town a certain hard edge, but it does have a certain charm.

(ye olde train station)

The north beach is another story. Here there are new housing developments with fancy new houses, many of which are holiday rentals. It kinda reminds me a little of Bugendore, with it's new houses set aside from the old town proper. I have a feeling that in no time this place will be a triving, trendy coastal town.



Sab and Scott had to get back home on Sunday, but I decided to stay a little longer here. Monday was nice and calm and I enjoyed a really great seaweed foot massage and exfoliation treatment (I walked on the beach). When I found a ball, well, everything was right in the world.

In the afternoon we went for a quick drive to Moonta Bay which is another coastal town just 15km away. We enjoyed further exfoliation and ball throwing/catching, but I think it was a bit too much seawater for poor Felix who ended up being sick in the car....nice.

Today we leave as the winds pick up again - off to the Barossa Valley and to see my friends again!

No comments:

Post a Comment