Monday, January 23, 2012

Last Call

So what does one do on one´s last day in paradise? Well, I started with a trip to the hospital.

Three days had passed since my last dive and my left ear had still not "popped" so I still could not hear properly out of it. I was getting on the plane the next day and I feared what would happen with the pressure of going up and back down. So, to assure myself that all was going to be ok I went to the hospital, which was conveniently only 2 blocks away.  The lovely doctor there checked out my ear and said that there was no damage and that all would be alright eventually. Thus assured, I rented a snorkel and mask and went to the beach at Punta Estrada.

To get to Punta Estrada I had to take a water taxi across the small harbour, it literally takes 3 minutes, because there is no other way to get there. I shared my taxi with a lovely Italian couple who I kept running into that day. They had rented an apartment in Puerto Ayora for a month...for $500! I wish I had thought of that!

When I got to the beach it was low tide and when I went in with my gear I saw some more colourful fishies and even saw a sting ray. As a lake swimmer I´m used to not really worrying what´s in the water with me...its mostly harmless stuff down there. Seeing something that could potentially hurt you, if you disturb it, in relatively shallow water certainly gives one pause when swimming in the ocean!





There was another little place to see a little farther along called Las Grietas. It was a little bit of a hike to get there and I was wearing my flip-flops. Normally this would be alright, but it was really hot (again) and I had already busted 2 blisters - that hurt! The walk was over volcanic rock which made the straps really rub the raw meat of my poor feet.

Las Grietas
Las Grietas is a fissure in the volcanic rock that has filled (partially) with some briny water - its about 15m deep. I had envisaged a quiet, peaceful place - but it was Saturday and everybody and his brother was there. The water was notably colder here since the sun rarely had a chance to warm it. Again I donned my mask and snorkel and set out. 


I swam to the end where there were less people and I noticed that beyond some rocks, the water continued. I climbed over the rocks, with great difficulties - volcanic rock is pointy - and continued swimming. There were three more rock obstacles and yes, there were some pretty sizable fish in there. At the end of Las Grietas was silence. I could hear nothing of the chaos at the other end. 


After swimming back and putting on my flip-flops, I realised that there was a problem - feet slide right off flip-flops when they´re wet. I nearly fell over trying to climb over the rocks. The walk back was not as painful as the walk in - I guess my feet became numb to the pain - and when I got back to the beach high tide had come in. The beach had almost completely disappeared! I went in for another swim and lazed in the sun while chatting with the Italians again. I used to be able to spend the better part of the day on the beach, but I must say that this doesn´t appeal to me anymore. So, after a short while I took the water taxi back to Puerto Ayora.




This was my last night here, and I spent it wandering the main street, watching the pelicans and sea lions vying for the fishermen´s leftovers (so much for not interfering with the wildlife!) I stopped for a fantastic passion fruit and blackberry gelato and I savoured it while watching the waves come into the port.


I´m definitely coming back here!

No comments:

Post a Comment