Day 3 is classified as the long day (Christ, you mean to tell me the other days were somehow short??)
We had an extra 3kms to do; 15kms in all. Up, and down - and the down bit included something called "the gringo killer"...awesome.
We sat down to a hearty breakfast (after the tea in sleeping bag of course); porridge, pancakes, toast, coca tea...apparently we were going to need all the help we could get. I was completely exhausted, I had not slept much that night and my shoulders were so tense from hauling the backpack and having them hunched all night in an effort to stay warm. The backpack had to go back on. I swear that thing put on weight every day.
We started the day with stairs. Oh joy. I was so tired, I don´t think I was conscious for most of that morning. At least the sun had decided to join us that day. By the time I got to the lunch spot I was a mass of sore shoulders, legs and delirium. Ahhhhh soooooouuuuuuuuup. mmmmmmmm. Every meal was a massive 3 course extravaganza - but this day I could only handle the soup. I snuck away and lay down on a rock, overlooking a magnificent valley, surrounded by majestic mountains...and I fell asleep. I had 15 min before the group left - Juan wanted to show us some ruins not far away before we dispersed.My eyes opened exactly 15 min later - how? I dunno. I was so tired I`m surprised I didn`t wake up at 4! I got up completely refreshed, went to the portaloo with the best view ever, got my pack and I started my second to last segment of the Inca Trail...the gringo killer.
This section was basically all down hill, steep steps - I`m talking as high as my knee. Again, the runners would speed by, skipping along the stones while we lumbered cautiously along. Once you got into a rhythm though it was better - although after about 30 min the knees were making a very convincing protest and the thighs were shaking - the views were spectacular though.
All this downward motion brought us to the cloud forest - its considered part of the jungle - it was quickly getting hotter and hotter. Now, because that morning and the night before had been so cold, I had put on 2 pairs of leggings, my woolen socks, 2 sweaters, and my polar fleece jacket. At one point I had to stop and take some stuff off. I took off my leggings, sweaters and jacket and I should have changed my socks while I was at it - but I didn`t. HIKING TIP: Don`t wear woolen socks when its hot and humid and you`re sweaty.
When I arrived at our campground I had a 5cm rash around my ankles - complete with heat blisters...those things hurt when you accidentally scratch them, you know.
That night there was much feasting. It was Christmas eve. We thanked all our porters and wished them all a Merry Christmas, as the next day after breaking camp, they would be on the next train home. And we would finally set eyes on Machu Picchu.


No comments:
Post a Comment