Thursday, January 19, 2012

Arriving in the Galapagos

Before you even check you bags to fly to the Galapagos, you have to go through a whole other process. You line up, they check your flights - especially the return flight, they record all this information and you get to pay $10 for their trouble. Then they x-ray your bags to look for organic matter...THEN you can line up (again) to check your stuff, get your boarding pass and go through security. I can understand the precautions.

Everyone knows that this is the place where Darwin´s theory of evolution came together for him. These islands have species of plants and animals that are unique to the Galapagos...and in many cases only to certain islands in the archipelago. There are no natural predators on these islands so the animals here show no fear. It is a place unique in the world. Visitors to this place are privileged - and the park entrance fee of $100 proves it!

When we got off the plane you could easily tell the locals from the tourists - the tourists were rubber-necking all around and the locals carried KFC.

I had felt the nagging tickle in my throat that morning and by the time I was on the bus on the way to Puerto Ayora on the island of Santa Cruz, I knew a cold was imminent...NOOOOOO!!!!
I was supposed to go diving in 2 days!! I couldn´t be sick! That`s the first rule..no, second...ok, the third rule in diving - no diving when you`re congested! DAMN DAMN DAMN!

When I got to my hostal it was around 3pm. I had two choices; go explore or go to sleep.
In hopes of recovery, I went to sleep. I woke up at 9 that night and went out in hopes of getting a bite to eat. Like in many Spanish cultures, life in the Galapagos was just getting started. There´s a street in Puerto Ayora that closes at night to allow the restaurants on either side a place to seat their clients. It´s a very popular place...and it was in full swing.

After a quick bite, and a stop at the local pharmacy for some vitamin C, I went back to bed. I hoped that the next day would bring good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment