| It was so good I almost forgot to take a picture! |
Remember when I went to Humahuaca? Well, I had llama pie for lunch. Actually, pie is a misnomer, llama loaf would be more accurate. YUM-O! So, what does llama taste like you ask??
hmmmm I would say like a cross between pork and chicken. It´s quite a sweet meat, and it´s not red. Anyway, this loaf was magnificent - well seasoned (with what I have no idea), very tasty and not dry at all. Some of the others thought that "playing it safe" would be better, they ordered the vegetable risotto (fair enough one of them was a vegetarian) - pfffffft they got a watery, tasteless mush...and there wasn´t even any rice! HA on them...they looked longingly at my llama loaf...
Ok, I don´t always like what I eat...big surprise, I know.
| before... |
| After... |
Tamales - I ate these on my night in Tilcara (you remember the waitress in the sweat pants?). I wasn´t particularly hungry on that night (probably due to that llama empanada I had eaten earlier) so I asked her to suggest something not too big. I got a tamale, con carne (it was that or cheese). I have heard of tamales, but I wasn´t quite sure what to expect. They´re like dumplings, wrapped in a corn husk - it came to me like a giant candy that I had to unwrap.
I got a llama and potato tamale....actually more like POTATO and llama. Sadly, it was dry and tasteless, there were no herbs or spices to speak of...and although it wasn´t big in size, all that dry potato just filled me up and I couldn´t finish it.
Pique Macho - This is a "traditional" Bolivian dish. It´s basically french fries with cut up hot dogs (they say sausage...but nah, they aren´t), sprinkled with fried onions, tomatoes, and boiled egg pieces...um, I give this one a miss altogether - it´s a bit of a weird mixture. You all know the above ingredients...make one at home and tell me what you think.
....one thing I found weird but nice was the french fries in soup. Yes, the Bolivians put french fries in their soup...like croutons. I guess they have more potatoes than wheat so it makes sense - and it´s delicious! (well, it won´t save a crap soup...but you know what I mean)
No comments:
Post a Comment