| There's lots of great graffiti in Bogota |
I looked at the map at breakfast; go down 9th street to 7th avenue, then follow 7th to Jimenez. So straight forward! Tucked the map into my purse (nothing says TOURIST more than a map in the hand - pul-eeze!) and off I went down 9th...past 7th to what I now believe was 10th ave. Ah, I arrived at a large main artery-type road so I thought it was Jimenez. I started to walk down that street. Hmmm, I thought, it is curious that the tourist guide thought this was an interesting street...there are hardware stores here. I kept walking anyway. People were looking at me curiously - what? Did I not blend in with the rest of the city's citizens with my hiking boots and rolled up pants? The hardware stores gave way to motorcycle parts stores and mechanics...even more curious. Where was the park they mentioned? The museums and cathedrals? I kept walking. I was a little afraid of taking out my map because the neighbourhood looked a little bit rough. Surely, eventually it would give way to something better. Is that a guy? What is he wearing?! I had inadvertently wandered into the transsexual red light district. DON'T stare. Just keep walking. Now people were really looking at me strangely - not threateningly, just..."this chick must be lost" looks. I thought that perhaps I should, not go back the way I came - I already saw that - but eastwards which is the direction I had come from to get to this street. Only 2 blocks up and things began to improve markedly.
| A courtyard at the National Museum |
I continued eastward, enjoying the variety in the architecture, the colourful graffiti, and I did eventually find that park they mentioned in the tourist guide. By 3:30 I found the Museo de Oro - the museum has 3 stories and it is filled with room after room of gold. I had been walking since 9:00 and my legs were killing me - I wasn't used to the altitude anymore. This museum is all about the gold work that the pre-Spaniard people of the area are famous for. They were master metallurgists and the fine craftsmanship that they managed is truly remarkable! It never ceases to amaze me how all these "primitive" civilisations managed to figure out how to make alloys, build impossible buildings in impossible places, and domesticate plants and animals.
| Where it all happened |
I can't say that I was thinking rationally when all this happened. The only thing that went through my head when I saw that guy going for my things - my camera was in there, with all my pictures - was, "I don't fucking think so." I never feared for my personal safety, it may seem odd but it was like I wasn't even there as far as they were concerned - they didn't pay any attention to me; only my purse mattered, it was the only thing they looked at.
My friend and I then proceeded to grab our bite to eat. My heart was racing for the next hour.
OMG the suspense. What happened!? You're obviously ok and back in one piece thank goodness, but I'm still very curious...
ReplyDeleteDOH!!!! Another friend mentioned that she wanted to know what happened too...that's when I noticed that this post was missing an entire paragraph! SORRY!!!!
DeleteIt was a little bit more hair raising than going out to dinner!
Heh heh we had a nice dinner and came back. Nothing else happened - although I will admit I became scared of a "retribution" attack (that didn't happen either)
ReplyDeleteAh ha so you were thinking my last comment was just plain weird, weren't ya!? Anyway, what happened was intense, but how's your fight back...awesome! Ponchos are the new pepper spray?
ReplyDelete